Hey guys, I am now hitting my senior year and was questioned with what I shall do for my senior project. I chose to develop a game! I had to go in front of a board of committees and get my project accepted and went through a big process. The committee members said they didn't think I was capable of making a game, but they would like to see me try, and see what I have to show for in 6 months.
So! I decided to make a history based game on the Darkplaces engine. I plan to sharpen my developing skills, and learn many new things along the way.
The game is going to be about 3 different wars in the worlds history. I am going to select 3 of them, and basically recreate them. The player will be able to play and see what happens pre-war, during war, and post-war. They will play and learn. I want to re-create the environments, weapons, characters, clothing style, and everything related to the time period of the war to my best ability.
So If you would like to submit an idea for a war, I would gladly accept examine it and take it into consideration! It has to be a war that really happened, and past the year 1600-Now.
I'm sorry if this sounds really jumbled. I have a lot on my plate, and can't quite organize my thoughts.
Sounds good. I don't use darkplaces, so I don't really know it's limitations are, and what not. If your wanting an idea for the war, if you want to be unique, you probably don't want to go with WW2, seeing how almost all war games are based off of this one. Also, I know the war really had to happen, but does it have to follow the EXACT timeline? If not, I would say:
1. Pick a war you have more knowledge about, (I know almost nothing of history, so I'm out of the question)
2. Pick a unique, main character, or someone that was a notable mention in that war, and maybe a couple of his comrades, and go from there.
3. Closer to the end of the war, make the final boss (or enemy, if you will) someone that was an antagonist from the American point of view. Give him an army with an arsenal of weapons. You could make the enemies harder based on the rank they pose. (i.e: General is hard, Recruit is easy)
4. Also, If it were my game, I would include an EXP system, or some way to level up. I love RPG's and FPS games. Especially when combined.
5. Start with weapons that are life like and do life like damage. Oh, and don't include any that weren't around back then.
I'll list more when and if I know if I'm following the ideas you had.