Augustine: Despondent
Welcome to our Forums! Please login or register! You can introduce yourself here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to our Forums! Please login or register! You can introduce yourself here!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums! We are the homeplace for Slender: Darkplaces, Augustine, Nightfall survival, and Revamped 1.

You are not connected. Please login or register

@Mexicouger/TCPixel (Current forum summery)

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Supermario641996

Supermario641996
Reclaimer
Reclaimer

First of all, I'm having this conversation public and in announcements as it sums up a few things that I announced before.  Returning users might see this and understand some of the changes I made.
-----
-Chatango
If you're wondering why the chatango is no longer owned by you, I had to replace it do to a spam bot getting access to it and spamming the chat with potential malware and I didn't have the rights to totally fix it.  Anons are currently disabled in the chat as I believe the spam bots are related to inactivity and as I cannot be around very often do to my financial issues (that seem to be coming to a close within a year).  I was worried for our users.  I have added your account as staff.  This was done a while ago.  If you have a new account, I can add that to staff.  All admin settings are enabled to you including the removal and adding of moderators.  If you feel that you want your own chatango again you obviously know that's up to you it being your website and all.  The chatango's width is now dynamic to keep it more consistent.  It's height was changed to make it look ok from any width.  There's a link to the chatango in the header buttons.  Originally, I manually updated the old flash version of your chat to html5 but that old chat is no-longer in use.

-Forum design
I did quite a few changes to this forum including pushing it to PunBB and manually moving over the colors and icons as the forum back up feature was not working at the time.  I was planning to replace some of the icons but from what I can see of the future, that should not be needed.  I did remake some of the icons like the mini contact icons ie my website, skype, email, ect.  This was to help with wrapping the icons were causing with their current location; originally these icons included words or their width was inconsistent with the other icons.  I also used the CSS to help fix the spacing used for these icons.  A lot of additions to the CSS were done to help better the spacing and clarity of the the forum.  I edited some colors to help make the forum more consistent.  There was a big design overhaul when PunBB was introduced making it appear more modern.  I replaced the slender man background with a space texture I created as seeing slendy's face everyday got kinda old xP.  I created a new banner to fit the translucency of the forum although I didn't do anything fancy with the text.  I did make the background logo from scratch.  The notification icons are animated zelda rupees because why not. I created them myself from scratch.  Some fun things were added that can be easily removed if you wish.  I added a portal with some CSS fixes to keep it more consistent with the forum width.  The forum width was changed a little to fix some clipping.  Some artistics were added to some of the user icons.  Some header button icons were created to make them consistent with the forum.  The toolbar above was made to be much less distracting.  Users can always hit that arrow to hide it of course.  The posts, rep, and points counter's colors were changed as I'm a little color blind and had a hard time reading some of them.

-Forum Ranks
The ranking system was too elaborate so the requirements were lowered quite a bit do to the forum inactivity.  A lower requirement will feel more rewarding than the 20k+ posts it was originally.  The requirement for the last rank is now 2k.  If you want to know what I changed for the ranking system, you know where that's located in the Admin panel.  It took some time coming up with what I set.

-Forum groups
Some groups were added to help reward some of our more active users.  I rearranged the group order to make it more consistent.  Colors were changed to make them more consistent.

-Forum Moderators
I added %ERROR% as a moderator, this is Alex/Dewm/whyme107/ect.  You know him of course.  He's very trustworthy and seeing how there were no other active mods I had to look for one for when I'm unable to moderate the forum.  He's also an admin on chatango for security reasons.

-Forum Users
Some things have changed with the way users work mostly that they can no longer change their names.  I did give the users some time to change it to what they preferred before locking this setting.  I did this to make users more consistent and easy to recognize.

-User bans
There have been some bans but most if not all had burner emails.  I decided this was too risky so I activated their accounts then banned them to make sure they couldn't come back around and try again.  You can look at them if you wish.

-Forum visibility
A while ago I changed the visibility back to allowing guests to see most of the forum as we/I forgot to after fixing the spam bot issue ages ago. Guests still need to register to post.
-----
Of course most of this was under my opinions and whether or not I liked it.  I didn't have anyone else to go by when making these decisions.  I'm no scripter so the CSS changes took a lot of time for me.  There are other things I did during the time you were away but I either forgot or they were too minor to mention.  If I think of anything that was of important, I'll edit this post but I think that was it.  If any of these changes you feel were not to your liking you can always change them.  I spent a lot of time trying to see what worked and what didn't so having a second opinion always helps.

[EDIT]
As suggested by Alex, there is an official discord chat now.  It's widget is on the portal and a invite link is in the click to chat button.

Oh yeah!  And there has been additions and changes to the rules to better them or make them more specific.

[EDIT]
Almost forgot to update the login text box! Fixed that!

Last edited by Supermario641996 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:31 pm; edited 4 times in total

https://augustine.forumotion.com/

%ERROR%

%ERROR%
Legend
Legend

It will be lovely to see this forum come back possibly. As for the chat I think it would be cool to maybe replace it with an Augustine discord since we can have that embedded the same way chatango is but for a single "Guild". This will allow users to just sign in since I'm pretty sure most people these days actually have a discord account. Also this will allow us to further organize the chat if needed as well as provide Voice Chat and more organized roles if the situation calls for it. Also Discord is just overall more reliable and a bit more professional.

http://yourdoomed.canadian-forum.com/

Supermario641996

Supermario641996
Reclaimer
Reclaimer

%ERROR% wrote:It will be lovely to see this forum come back possibly. As for the chat I think it would be cool to maybe replace it with an Augustine discord since we can have that embedded the same way chatango is but for a single "Guild". This will allow users to just sign in since I'm pretty sure most people these days actually have a discord account. Also this will allow us to further organize the chat if needed as well as provide Voice Chat and more organized roles if the situation calls for it. Also Discord is just overall more reliable and a bit more professional.

This is a good idea as NZP migrated to discord.  I'll look into it and pop-up an official group if needed.  That would allow us to moderate the chat more consistently and raise the security factor by quite a bit.  A backup of the chatango code will be saved if needed.

[EDIT]
It looks like the discord devs disabled the chat feature do to a security risk at the middle or end of last year. Unless I can find a work around I may just pop the discord chat in the portal and the "click to chat!" button but leave the homepage as chatango.

https://augustine.forumotion.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum