Augustine: Despondent
Welcome to our Forums! Please login or register! You can introduce yourself here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to our Forums! Please login or register! You can introduce yourself here!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums! We are the homeplace for Slender: Darkplaces, Augustine, Nightfall survival, and Revamped 1.

You are not connected. Please login or register

anyone heard of the neo geo?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1anyone heard of the neo geo? Empty anyone heard of the neo geo? Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:53 pm

刈り取り機

刈り取り機
Mythic
Mythic

the neo geo aes was snk's first home console and it was quite expensive at the time. it was 500$ iirc. and games for it were around 100$, soo yea quite an expensive console. but it had superior sound and image quality to the sega genesis, super nintendo and the turbo graphx 16. sadly it didnt kick off too well and the only people who really bought it were the huge fans of snk. to this day it has a huge cult following and theres still homebrew games being made for it.

shortly after snk released a cd based aes.it was considerably cheaper and the controller was the amazing, it felt very comfortable and still felt like you were playing an arcadey kind of game(which is what the majority of the cd/aes's library was comprised of). the only drawback of the neo geo cd were the loading
times, they were agonizingly long compared the jaguar cd and sega cd's loading times. snk released yet another neo geo cd system, called the cdz but it was only released on japan and didn't sell that well.

once the nintendo 64, sega saturn, and ps1 came out snk couldnt compete with the new systems because the aes couldnt handle 3d graphics. they instead decided to try and compete with nintendo in the handheld market and came out with the neo geo pocket in 1998

one year later the pocket was discontinued by snk and they then released the neo geo pocket color. one of the many unique aspects of the neo geo pocket is that it has foward compatability, meaning the b/w pocket can play most pocket color games and vice versa. also the neo geo pockets had a "pocket menu" where it can function as an alarm, check horoscopes, calender, and check world times. also it saved game data to the pocket itself as opposed the the saves being on the cartidge of the game. and also some games like card fighters(pretty much like pokemon trading card game but with snk and capcom characters) u can turn the system off in the middle of a card fight and trun it back on you can continue right where you left off in the card fight.

with all these features compared to the gbc you would imagine it would blow the gbc right out of the water, but sadly it didnt, in fact the very opposite happened. the neo geo pocket only lasted 2 years(1998-2000) and it was the last console snk made until they bankrupted. many factors led to this, mainly beacause aside from sega, snk had no 3rd party developers(in fact you could link your neo geo pocket up to your dreamcast!) so snk pretty much was the only ones who were making games for the system.

the games though for the neo geo pocket are just amazing though, way better than anything the gbc could dish out. it had great sound quality for a handheld of its time and very colorful and smooth graphics. i cannot think of any neo geo pocket game that got a bad rating, they all are very good, snk defiantly knew how to make games(and game pads).

all in all, it was way ahead of its time and should not have met the fate it did, but during its release the pokemon craze was going on, so it unfortunatly didnt really have a chance

thanks for reading this all, i was bored and felt like telling u guys about the history of snk and the neo geo

2anyone heard of the neo geo? Empty Re: anyone heard of the neo geo? Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:26 am

waratte

waratte
Lt Colonel Grade 1
Lt Colonel Grade 1

Yes, I have heard of this expensive console before.

I also originally thought Sony's new portable was a Neo Geo Pocket, since it was called NGP, _lol.

http://waratte.us/

3anyone heard of the neo geo? Empty Re: anyone heard of the neo geo? Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:06 pm

刈り取り機

刈り取り機
Mythic
Mythic

waratte wrote:Yes, I have heard of this expensive console before.

I also originally thought Sony's new portable was a Neo Geo Pocket, since it was called NGP, _lol.

i would actually buy it if it were a neo geo pocket Razz

4anyone heard of the neo geo? Empty Re: anyone heard of the neo geo? Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Supermario641996

Supermario641996
Reclaimer
Reclaimer

The price of the Neo Geo AES was priced at $649.99 USD. The AES was introduced in 1990. The last cartridge manufactured for the system was released in 2004 by SNK. You can buy the Neo Geo games from the Wii's Virtual Console. The price for these are 900 points. It was the first of it's family.

For more information on this console. Read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_(console)

https://augustine.forumotion.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]